Alberta consumers will be able to receive natural gas rebates on their utility bills if the regulated monthly natural gas rate (RRO) charged by any one of Alberta's regulated utility providers is above $6.50 per gigajoule. To see the regulated rates please visit the Regulated Rates at a Glance page. The provincial rebate program runs from October 2022 until the end of March 2023.
- You do not need to apply for the rebates. They will be applied to your bills automatically when the regulated price of natural gas goes above $6.50/GJ. Beware of any potential scams when if comes to any rebate offerings. Please visit alberta.ca for more information.
- The rebate will be listed on your bill as a line item titled “GOA Utility Commodity Rebate.”
- The exact timing of the rebates will vary depending on the billing cycle of your utility provider.
- You will not receive natural gas rebates for the charges in October, November, December 2022 and January 2023 as the regulated rate for these months was below $6.50 per gigajoule.
- If you live in a gas co-op area, you may be paying more than $6.50/GJ; however, the rebate will not appear on your bill until the RRO rate reaches the $6.50 trigger.
- If you bill on a monthly budget/equalized payment plan, you are still receiving the rebate and your monthly payment amount does not change. Your rebate will be reflected in your billing details. If you have additional questions, please contact the UCA Mediation team toll free at 310-4822.
How the rebates are calculated
If the published Alberta price is above $6.50 per gigajoule, rebates will cover the difference between $6.50 per gigajoule and the regulated rate that calendar month. For example, if the Alberta price is $7.50, eligible consumers would get a rebate on their bill covering $1 for every gigajoule used.
Eligibility for Rebates
You will automatically receive the rebate on your utility bill if you are a natural gas consumer who:
- is connected to the system
- is on either a regulated or competitive plan
- uses fewer than 2,500 gigajoules of natural gas annually
If you are not connected to the natural gas system or use other heating fuels, please visit the Affordability Action Plan page for more information.
Please contact us toll-free at 310-4822, email at email@example.com, or visit the Contact a Mediation Officer page for more information.
Federal Carbon Charge Rebate
For information on the Government of Canada’s Climate Action Incentive Payment (CAIP) program, visit the Canada Revenue Agency’s CAIP webpage.