The Utilities Consumer Advocate’s (UCA) Annual Report for 2019-2020 includes the following key achievements:
- Participated in 42 Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) proceedings, where the Commission issued a decision between April 1, 2019, and March 31, 2020, and intervened in 125 issues.
- The AUC agreed with UCA evidence and arguments on 59 per cent of issues; with UCA evidence and arguments cited in AUC decisions reflecting $108 million in total cost disallowances ($1.43 billion since 2013) that represented avoided additional costs on consumers’ bills. This figure represents a return on investment of over $28 for every $1 invested in UCA Regulatory Affairs for the year.
- Assisted over 27,000 Albertans seeking information or assistance related to their electricity or natural gas services through the 310-4UCA phone line.
- Grew the Consumer Education and Awareness program, directly engaging with over 14,000 people at 118 events around Alberta. Fiscal year 2019-20 also saw UCA social media posts grow in reach over multiple channels, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Facilitated the reconnection of 40 disconnected households from November-December 2019, as part of the AUC’s Winter Utility Reconnection program.
- The Power and Natural Gas Consumer’s Panel met three times during Fiscal Year 2019-20, providing advice on a variety of issues, including red tape reduction, impacts of the Federal Carbon Tax, and encouraging more consumer participation in the competitive retail energy market.
Read the report and learn more about the UCA’s yearly accomplishments.