The Utilities Consumer Advocate’s (UCA) Annual Report for 2021-2022 includes the following key achievements:
- Participated in 41 Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) proceedings, where the Commission issued a decision between April 1, 2021, and March 31, 2022, and intervened in 115 issues.
- The AUC agreed with UCA evidence and arguments on 58 per cent of issues; with UCA evidence and arguments cited in AUC decisions reflecting over $92 million in total cost disallowances ($1.79 billion since 2013) that represented avoided additional costs on consumers’ bills. This figure represents a return on investment of over $36 for every $1 invested in UCA Regulatory Affairs for the year.
- Assisted over 30,000 Albertans seeking information or assistance related to their electricity or natural gas services through the 310-4UCA phone line.
- The UCA's consumer education program conducted 47 outreach events, with the majority of these being virtual. This outreach was complemented by over 685,000 consumer visits to the UCA website.
- Facilitated the reconnection of 92 disconnected households from November-December 2021, as part of the AUC’s Winter Utility Reconnection program.
- The Power and Natural Gas Consumer’s Panel met three times during Fiscal Year 2021-22, providing advice on a variety of issues, including increasing public awareness of UCA services available to help consumers make utility choices that are best for their respective business, farm, and/or household, and encouraging more consumer participation in the competitive retail energy market.
Read the report and learn more about the UCA’s yearly accomplishments.