The Utilities Consumer Advocate's Annual Report for 2017-2018 includes the following key achievements:
- Initiated participation in 33 Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) proceedings and intervened in 125 issues.
- AUC agreed with UCA evidence and arguments on 42% of issues*; with UCA evidence and arguments cited in AUC decisions reflecting $248 million in total cost disallowances that were not downloaded onto consumers’ bills. This figure represents a return on investment (ROI) of $56.00 for every $1.00 invested in UCA Regulatory Affairs for the year.
- Assisted over 24,000 Albertans seeking information or assistance related to their electricity or natural gas services through the 310-4UCA phone line.
- Expanded the Consumer Education and Awareness program, directly engaging with 8,500 people at 87 events around Alberta. Fiscal year 2017-18 also saw the launch of UCA consumer education on social media through Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Facilitated the reconnection of 110 disconnected customers during winter 2017-2018 as part of the AUC’s Winter Utility Reconnection Program.
* Thirty-three AUC proceedings involving the UCA concluded during fiscal year 2017-2018. The UCA was active in 52 proceedings throughout the same year.
Read the report and learn more about the UCA's yearly accomplishments.