The Utilities Consumer Advocate's Annual Report for 2016-2017 includes the following key achievements:
- Initiated participation in 33 Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) proceedings and intervened in 108 issues.
- AUC agreed with UCA evidence and arguments on 72.5% of issues.*
- UCA evidence and arguments cited in AUC decisions reflected $204 million in total cost disallowances that were not downloaded onto consumers bills. This represents a return on investment (ROI) of $52.04 per dollar invested in UCA Regulatory Affairs for the year.
- Assisted almost 30,000 Albertans seeking information or assistance related to their electricity or natural gas services.
- Continued to build the Consumer Education and Awareness program, including a redesigned website; and development of comprehensive social media engagement and consumer outreach programs.
- Facilitated the reconnection of 83 disconnected customers during winter 2016/2017 as part of the AUC’s Winter Utility Reconnection Program.
* Thirty-three AUC proceedings involving the UCA concluded during fiscal year 2016/17. The UCA was active in 55 proceedings throughout the same year.
Read the report and learn more about the UCA's yearly accomplishments.